In 1175 the largest Augustinian monastery was built west of Hillerød. The famous French abbot St. William built the monastery to serve as both a seminary, a shelter for the poor and as a hospital for the area's sick and weak. After the Reformation, the monastery was demolished - but its ruins have survived to the present day.
Diseases and skeletons
Today The Æbelholt Monastery Museum exhibits some of the excavated skeletons, including the lame monk and many others. Skeletons tell a series of dramatic and exciting stories of diseases, living conditions and causes of death in the middle ages.
100 herbs in the garden
A visit to Æbelholt Monastery also includes a tour of the museum's beautiful garden. The garden contains 100 different medicinal herbs, which typically grew in medieval Danish monastery gardens. The herbs were used for everything from emetic to sedative. At that time monks often acted as doctors.